Compilation Speed

Questions regarding IDE/Code-Editor

Compilation Speed

Postby tseyfarth » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:58 pm

Hello,

Is it possible to speed the compilation og KB? It takes forever and a day to compile. And when there are syntax or other errors, each time it has to go through this long arduous process to find/tell you where there are errors just to repeat. A speed increase in this area would be very valuable. This problem really hurts the RAD! Further, if the compiler spit out ALL errors, like it does with the FIND IN FILES, this would be equally beneficial!

Tim
tseyfarth

Re: Compilation Speed

Postby Slowdown » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:46 pm

Hi Tim,

how many lines of are you talking about ?
And you're talking about hitting F5 or creating a binary ?
I don't have big projects to test it but i have an example of 605 lines and this one is from hitting F5 till it's running 4 seconds ;)
Regards
Slowdown for now i'm back
Slowdown

Postby tseyfarth » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:01 pm

F5 - run.

There are several thousand lines >2200 in one module alone but some of these are also remarked. Dunno where to go or even if there is a place that tells how many total in the project.

Performing the same action in VB6 about 1 second. To compile to exe is about 4 or 5 seconds.
In KB, to RUN F5 2 min 3 seconds, have not compiled to full exe.

Tim
tseyfarth

Postby Henning » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:31 am

Ok, I'll say it again ;)

In VB the code you are compiling isn't from the text you see in the IDE. In reallity as soon as you enter new code and hit Enter or move to another line, the code is precompiled to P-code.
In Kb and Q7B the text is compiled to binary. The larger the app, the bigger is the difference in compilation speed.

So, comparing compilation speed with VB isn't fair.

/Henning
Henning

Postby tseyfarth » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:00 pm

OK maybe so. But it is still painfully slow!

If it takes 3-4 min to find a syntax error, and there is 10 errors, that is 30-40 min, without making the changes, and longer if not paying attention for that whole time to the IDE to act immediately on the error.

See the problem?
tseyfarth

Postby Henning » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:29 pm

Yes, I'm well aware of the "too" long time to find errors. ;)

In VB when running the program in the IDE, it actually runs the already precompiled p-code. Thats why you in debug mode can change variables and continue without recompiling. It is done for you in the background.

/Henning
Henning

Postby tseyfarth » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:41 pm

For me, it makes little difference how it is done. So long as it gets faster! The same problem exists in Q7B too... I like being able to step through, hover over vars to see their value and of course "on the fly" changes. But I would gladly sacrafice that (and its not in KB anyway so there is no sacrifice) for an increase in speed or a list of all defects at once.

Either way, either faster, or same speed but list all, would help dramatically!

Tim
tseyfarth

Postby berndnoetscher » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:58 am

tseyfarth wrote:For me, it makes little difference how it is done. So long as it gets faster! The same problem exists in Q7B too... I like being able to step through, hover over vars to see their value and of course "on the fly" changes. But I would gladly sacrafice that (and its not in KB anyway so there is no sacrifice) for an increase in speed or a list of all defects at once.

Either way, either faster, or same speed but list all, would help dramatically!

Tim

In q7b it takes only a second or fewer to find a syntax error. The compiler is extremely fast. If you watch the compiler window you will see it. The message box is delayed presented and the delay is a bug.
berndnoetscher
Site Admin

Return to IDE