Installing on ASUS Eee PC 900 (Linux)

If you have problems with the installation of KBasic, you are right here

Re: Installing on ASUS Eee PC 900 (Linux)

Postby berndnoetscher » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:11 am

I do not know how exactly, but a German user wrote it in a private email. He downloaded all needed Qt files and ignored the abortation of the installation process when reaching 80% (only the desktop links are not created then).
berndnoetscher
Site Admin

Postby martyntwright » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:09 pm

OK, I finally have Kbasic running on my ASUS Eee pc 900(Linux).
Thanks for the help on this forum and the ASUS forum: http://forum.eeeuser.com

I performed the rather scary steps listed on: http://wiki.eeeuser.com/addingxandrosrepos
Then was able to run: sudo apt-get install libqt4-sql, suggested by kkbs

I like the interface and features. Its only early days but I have had several crashes whilst in the ide.
I'm not doing anything more that adding a few controls to a form, like label, textbox, button and listbox.
Then I added some code to the button event to add items like the date and time to a listbox when the button is pressed.
It sometimes happens when I 'Run' the app in the ide, othertimes I just click on an option in the ide.
The symptom is that the ide just freezes. I tried to kill the kbide which made the screen go away, so that I was
able to run another instance of kbide, but the original kbide was still there, and would not go until I rebooted.
I'm sorry its a bit vague at the moment, I will make careful notes the next time it happens.
I don't know if this is a problem with hardware, libraries or kbasic itself. I plan to install it on a pc running Ubuntu 8,
and see if I get similar problems.

As an aside, whilst trying to find a solution to the kbasic installation problem, I downloaded and installed Eclipse,
on my ASUS Eee and am in the process of re-teaching myself Java. I dabbled with Java several years ago in a command line
environment, but I have to say with Eclipse's GUI it is a dream to use and with the SWT libraries makes it a serious
competitor to basic.
martyntwright

Postby berndnoetscher » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:36 am

He wrote an email to me in German. Unfortunetaly, am not sure if he speaks English. His user name is "Werner_Bechtold".
Anyway, it is important that your eee supports the newest version of Qt 4.4. I will upload the new kbasic soon, which comes with Qt 4.4. I fear it won't be available, without compiling it yourself.
berndnoetscher
Site Admin

Postby pa0akv » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:38 pm

Hello, I also installed Kbasic on a Eee PC 900 and installed libqt4-sql afterwards. Kbasic seems to work only after
I tried making a form with one button and a label. System stops after 20% building and I was not able to start it again.

Is this because of the installing order ?
Is there a newer version for Linux available. I am very interested while I am a vb user since version 4...

greetings Andre
pa0akv

Postby berndnoetscher » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:03 am

The current linux version is far outdated (it's from February 2008). I am currently installing the newest openSUSE 11.0 and creating a new package based on Qt 4.4. I strongly recommend to use only the newest versions.
berndnoetscher
Site Admin

Postby ccanavino » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:31 am

hello forum,
I recently purchased asus 900 and would like to install kbasic. no linux experience but I have read posts on this and eee forums.and installed sql per posts but when attempting to run installer get. this message home/user/installer_kbasic_professional_linux.bin: /lib/tls/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.4' not found (required by /home/user/installer_kb
a search of files shows libc.so.6 exists but properties does not indicate version (using out of box simple file manager)
I attempted to run installer program from file manager konsole.
Please excuse my ignorance, do I have to put installer....bin in a particular directory. Any help would be appreciated.
Regards,
Curt
ccanavino

Postby berndnoetscher » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:26 pm

The error message says that you need a particular file installed on your eee in order you will be able to run the installer. Maybe creating a link from existing file would help.
Without it, it won't run and which place you choose for your installation is not important as long it is in your home directory.
berndnoetscher
Site Admin

Postby kkbs » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:59 pm

berndnoetscher wrote:I do not know how exactly, but a German user wrote it in a private email. He downloaded all needed Qt files and ignored the abortation of the installation process when reaching 80% (only the desktop links are not created then).

This problem is probably caused because the KBasic installer (probably) assumes that the desktop folder is ~/Desktop. In localized versions of Gnome this folder is usually named in the local language, therefore ~/Desktop does not exist or is not writable.
kkbs

Previous

Return to Installation