Interpreter or Compiler? ...and other FAQ's not on the FAQ.

Interpreter or Compiler? ...and other FAQ's not on the FAQ.

Postby tenaja » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:48 pm

I'm looking for a cross-platform basic. This one seems worth looking into more, so I have a few questions...and unfortunately the FAQ page is a token page.

Repeatedly, KBasic is described as a compiler, and also as an interpreter. So, which is it? The closest I could get for an accurate answer was the "under the hood" page, which shows a diagram of an interpreter. (...and I am leary of interpreters that call themselves compilers!)

Does it generate a single standalone exe file?

Is it a "true" cross compiler, allowing mac and linux exe file generation from within windows? (Or do you have to "compile" within the target OS platform?)

Thanks!
tenaja

Re: Interpreter or Compiler? ...and other FAQ's not on the FAQ.

Postby berndnoetscher » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:29 am

tenaja wrote:I'm looking for a cross-platform basic. This one seems worth looking into more, so I have a few questions...and unfortunately the FAQ page is a token page.

Repeatedly, KBasic is described as a compiler, and also as an interpreter. So, which is it? The closest I could get for an accurate answer was the "under the hood" page, which shows a diagram of an interpreter. (...and I am leary of interpreters that call themselves compilers!)

Does it generate a single standalone exe file?

Thanks!

The output is a standalone exe with dll files like all other Qt C++ projects (it interprets bytecode like Java). See the forum for more details. The successor of KBasic (it is called Q7Basic) compiles to binary code without bytecode and interpreter.

<<Is it a "true" cross compiler, allowing mac and linux exe file generation from within windows? (Or do you have to "compile" within the target OS platform?)
No, it is not supported, because I believe someone should check his or her app on the platform it supports. You never know (different font size etc.).
berndnoetscher
Site Admin

Return to Anything Else