How do you use a frame to group a set of controls?

Questions regarding IDE/Code-Editor

How do you use a frame to group a set of controls?

Postby bobr » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:29 am

In VB you were able to lay down a frame control, then add other controls on top of (within the the boundary of) the frame. This meant that you could enable/disable or visible/invisible the frame which "at a stroke" would give control of the controls within the frame.

This doesn't appear possible with KBasic, or am I missing something? If it's not supported I can't see the purpose of a frame, apart from providing a means of visibly grouping controls on a form by providing a coloured background.

Another problem is that, once a frame has been added with other controls on top of it, it doesn't appear possible to select the "contained" controls so that the layout of the "contained controls" can be formatted. Then only way to select a set of controls is to put a marquee over them, but this picks up the underlying frame as well. You can't click on a control and then shift/click (or something similar) on a second one etc. so that controls can be grouped formed for formatting.
bobr

Re: How do you use a frame to group a set of controls?

Postby berndnoetscher » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:17 am

bobr wrote:In VB you were able to lay down a frame control, then add other controls on top of (within the the boundary of) the frame. This meant that you could enable/disable or visible/invisible the frame which "at a stroke" would give control of the controls within the frame.

This doesn't appear possible with KBasic, or am I missing something? If it's not supported I can't see the purpose of a frame, apart from providing a means of visibly grouping controls on a form by providing a coloured background.

Another problem is that, once a frame has been added with other controls on top of it, it doesn't appear possible to select the "contained" controls so that the layout of the "contained controls" can be formatted. Then only way to select a set of controls is to put a marquee over them, but this picks up the underlying frame as well. You can't click on a control and then shift/click (or something similar) on a second one etc. so that controls can be grouped formed for formatting.

Both issues are addressed and possible in Kbasic's successor coming soon.
berndnoetscher
Site Admin

Re: How do you use a frame to group a set of controls?

Postby bobr » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:30 am

Thanks for that.
However, the problem I have is that, as a deliberate policy, I use Windows 2000 due to its inherent stability. I've had a look at Q7Basic and I see that it requires Qt SDK 2010.05 for Windows. Sadly, this doesn't support Windows 2000!
bobr

Return to IDE