IDE taking long time to run

Questions regarding IDE/Code-Editor

IDE taking long time to run

Postby yogiyang » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:46 am

While trying out the examples provided with KBasic I have found that the IDE seems to take a long time to run the program when we press F5.

How can we speed this up?

Thanks,

Yogi Yang
yogiyang

Re: IDE taking long time to run

Postby Slowdown » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:12 pm

Do you have an example so i can compare it with you ?
Regards
Slowdown for now i'm back
Slowdown

Postby yogiyang » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:50 am

To illustrate my problem let us open a project supplied with KBasic (Application2.kbasic_project).

When I run this or any project for that matter it takes a lot of time even when the progress bar at the bottom shows 100%.

Re running the project is almost instant but the moment we make any changes to the any form it again takes time to run.

Of course the time take is just a about 2 to 3 seconds but if it takes so much time just for running such a small project then what would happen in case of a project with say 20 forms, 6 inline controls and 12 modules? I am just concerned a bit because I am gearing up to convert an existing project written in VB6 to KBasic.

What must be the reason?

BTW I have a PC equipped with Core2Duo 1.86 MHz with 2 GB RAM.

Regards,

Yogi Yang
yogiyang

Postby berndnoetscher » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:38 am

The speed issue of the compilation is a serious concern, hope to make it faster in future. I didn't tested kbasic with such a large project you mentioned.
The test environment (PC) is like yours, but the compilation time of the mentioned project is lesser one second. Looks like there is a communication issue between the compiler and the IDE...

Anyway, I plan to rewrite all parts of kbasic released as 2.x versions. The compiler will be to rewritten using Qt libraries for its internal structures (now it has its own C/C++ implementation for list of classes etc.) The IDE and Runtime will be rewritten as well. Due to the large set of commands and file structures, I would like to have some way to make it easier to add new features to the language. I think of an compiler generator (something generating the needed files). As I hope that the existing code base of kbasic helps me to have this big task done as fast as possible.
berndnoetscher
Site Admin

Postby Slowdown » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:52 pm

@Yogiyang

I have tested this program also and i see no delay when the bar hits the 100% and perhaps
it takes 2 seconds from F5 till the program is working.
My spec's core 2 duo 2.8 Ghz and 2 Gb of ram. (iMac)
I know it's not 1.86Ghz so you can't compare these results.
Regards
Slowdown for now i'm back
Slowdown

Return to IDE