Very Basic Install questions for Linux

If you have problems with the installation of KBasic, you are right here

Very Basic Install questions for Linux

Postby tseyfarth » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:34 am

Mr B,

Well, I've made the plunge! I installed Ubuntu netbook version on an old notebook. This is literally the first time I have ever seen Linux, much less *used* it!

So, so many things are different but many many are very very cool too! I could not believe that it would run from a CD as a test bed! Also could not believe that in two separate platforms, was able to find and usethe necessary drivers so even the wireless internet, and wireless mouse etc etc etc just plain WORK!. Way cool.

OK So getting down to the subject, I have not a clue how to install *anything* on an Linux box!

Noramally in Windoz, you click on the install.exe or similar, and pretty much app stuff is done by the installer. However, with QT, and KB I downloaded the tarbal (?) but dunno what to do next (not to mention how to create and therefore keep organized folders as I do in Windoz)!

So, can anyone give me some really really basic instruction for what to do?

Thank you
Tim (the linux neophyte)
tseyfarth

Re: Very Basic Install questions for Linux

Postby berndnoetscher » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:56 am

Just unpack the kbasic linux tar.gz (right click and unpack should do it). If you already installed all Qt relevant packages with the software manager (called on ubuntu, I think), open the kbasic folder you unpacked and make kbc, kbide and kbrun executable (right click change permissions to executable). Start kbide by clicking left on it.
berndnoetscher
Site Admin

Re: Very Basic Install questions for Linux

Postby tseyfarth » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:20 pm

OK. I have not installed anything yet, but will try that.

Thank you
Tim
tseyfarth

Return to Installation