KBasic Performance

KBasic Performance

Postby treddie » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:41 pm

Hello.

Like many I am positively frustrated with Microsoft and as a result of their decision to abandon vb6, and due to the inferior performance of vb.net with real-time graphics, I am looking to alternatives. I had FAR better performance with vb6 coupled with calls to the API's graphics functions.

KBasic seems at this point to offer the best solution, but I must always get back to the prime issue for me...What is the speed of KBasic vs. vb6/vb.net? For instance, I have a background bitmap with 2D graphics overlaid composed of a complex grid that must be calculated on the fly, rulers with zillions of tics that must be calculated, sketch lines, etc., and it must all move smoothly when zoomed in/out or when everything is moved to a new position in the drawing area.

How well does KBasic perform in drawing to the screen, and does it support Windows 7 (unlike vb6)?

Many thanks!
treddie
treddie

Re: KBasic Performance

Postby berndnoetscher » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:52 am

treddie wrote:Hello.

Like many I am positively frustrated with Microsoft and as a result of their decision to abandon vb6, and due to the inferior performance of vb.net with real-time graphics, I am looking to alternatives. I had FAR better performance with vb6 coupled with calls to the API's graphics functions.

KBasic seems at this point to offer the best solution, but I must always get back to the prime issue for me...What is the speed of KBasic vs. vb6/vb.net? For instance, I have a background bitmap with 2D graphics overlaid composed of a complex grid that must be calculated on the fly, rulers with zillions of tics that must be calculated, sketch lines, etc., and it must all move smoothly when zoomed in/out or when everything is moved to a new position in the drawing area.

How well does KBasic perform in drawing to the screen, and does it support Windows 7 (unlike vb6)?

Many thanks!
treddie

What I can write is that Windows 7 is supported and that KBasic's successor Q7Basic is faster as KBasic (because it uses a different and newer runtime and compiler).
berndnoetscher
Site Admin

Postby treddie » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:29 am

Thank you for the reply. And sorry for the delay in getting back here...I didn't have my options set to notify me when someone replied.

But doesn't Q7Basic ignore any references to Windows API (GDI32) since that is unique to Windows and Q7 is cross-platform? Does Q7 have a similar set of API functions that GDI32 supports?
treddie

Postby berndnoetscher » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:34 am

treddie wrote:Thank you for the reply. And sorry for the delay in getting back here...I didn't have my options set to notify me when someone replied.

But doesn't Q7Basic ignore any references to Windows API (GDI32) since that is unique to Windows and Q7 is cross-platform? Does Q7 have a similar set of API functions that GDI32 supports?

Check out the examples and docu about drawing features and GUI controls. It will give you an inside what kbasic/Qb7 can do.
berndnoetscher
Site Admin

Postby treddie » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:56 am

Will do.
treddie

Return to Anything Else